It’s winter in metro Detroit and that means winter weather warnings. Snow is expected and often that comes with ice and dangerous temperatures.
Be prepared. It is possible you may not leave your residence for a couple of days.
Here is Affinity’s Winter Survival Tips:
- Have a plan to have someone else, a service, a neighbor or a family member, clear driveways, walkways, and steps of all snow and ice. Use salt to make sure there’s not a layer of ice.
- Watch the weather. Stay inside during extreme cold and snow/ice events.
- When outside in the cold, cover your nose and mouth so you don’t breath in the freezing air.
- Dress in layers. Wear good-fitting boots with non-slip treads. Always wear a hat and gloves.
- Stay hydrated. The air is dryer so drinking plenty of water is important to prevent dehydration.
- Have a family member or Affinity, check in often to be sure everything is going well. Give a gift of a medical monitoring device with fall detection.
- Be sure you’re not going out to get the mail or paper alone, in case you slip or fall.
- Prevent fires and carbon monoxide poisoning by making sure all appliances, fireplaces, and stoves are venting properly. Keep the furnace running and heat the home to 65 or higher. If heating bills are a concern, electric and gas companies often offer assistance.
- If you use a cane, replace the rubber tip for better grip like an ice pick style tip for the cane.
- Keep a blanket and water bottle in the car for emergencies.
For Home Care Services, call 888.806.8773 or visit www.AffinityHomeCareAgency.com
We are available 24/7!